April 18th, 2023
Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
In the early hours of Wednesday, April 19th, a storage facility in North Houston, Texas, was engulfed in a devastating fire reportedly caused by neglected candles. The flames destroyed numerous storage units, boats, and RVs, resulting in a complete loss of all affected property.
According to the Northwest Volunteer Fire Department, two individuals rented the storage unit and used candles for lighting due to a lack of power supply. Tragically, the situation took a turn for the worse when a candle was carelessly placed on a wooden dresser, resulting in the dresser catching fire. The flames rapidly engulfed the entire unit and spread horizontally causing extensive damage. Fortunately, there were no reported injuries to anyone involved.
The fire incident prompted the response of four fire departments. Since there were no nearby fire hydrants, they needed seven fire engines and four tankers, each capable of carrying 1,000 gallons of water. In addition to these resources, the firefighting teams were fortunate to have access to a nearby large pool, which served as an additional water supply to aid their efforts.
According to reports, the fire resulted in the loss of at least five boats, eight RVs, construction equipment, and a classic car. The damage extended beyond the storage facility, affecting the neighboring commercial glass company. Their work vehicles endured damage as a result of the intense fire.
Risk Logic offers facility inspections and can provide valuable recommendations, including installing automatic sprinkler protection to prevent losses similar to the one described. If you would like a review of storage practices and loss prevention for your business, please contact Risk Logic.