Apr 2003

Overview of of Codes, Standards and Regulations in CA, CT, MA, NJ, NY, NC and PA

In November 2002, Sprinkler Age magazine featured it's 15th annual legislative review for the United States and Canada. This summary of legislation and codes offers an overview of regulations affecting the fire sprinkler industry in individual states. The information was obtained from a survey mailed to the fire marshals of the 50 states, the District of Columbia and the provinces of Canada. We have listed below the responses and findings for California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina and Pennsylvania.

State Licensing & Certification Requirements
State Requires Certification of: Requires Licensing for: Requires for Sprinkler Drawings:
Plan Reviewers Inspectors Contractors Fitters Designers PE / Architect Seal NICET Level II NICET Level IV
California N N Y Y N N N
Connecticut Y Y Y Y Y Y Y N
Massachusetts N N Y Y N Y N N
New Jersey Y Y Y Y N
New York N Y N N N Y N N
North Carolina Y Y N Y N
Pennsylvania N N N N N N N N


State State Code Adoption Additional NFPA Standards NFPA 13 Edition Adopted Intend to Adopt Adopted NFPA 25
IBC NFPA 5000 Statewide Locally
California 1997 UBC, 1997 UFC NFPA 13, 13D, 13r-1996, 14-1993, 24-1995 1996 UNK No No
Connecticut BOCA 1996 amended; NFPA 101 1997 amended NFPA 13, 13D, 13R 1999 Yes
Massachusetts BOCA 1993 amended, portions of NFPA Yes, MGL 148 Sections 26G, H, I 1999 Yes Yes
New Jersey BOCA 1996 amended No 1994 Yes Yes
New York 2003 ICC w/NY enhancements NYS enhancements – sprinklers required in all new buildings classified as an R occupancy 1999 Yes No As a reference standard
North Carolina 2000 IBC amended No 1999 Yes No Yes
Pennsylvania BOCA 1999 amended N/A N/A No No


Other survey findings included the following for the above states:

Regarding pending sprinkler legislation:

Legislation is pending in North Carolina that is less restrictive for public assemblies.

Regarding sprinkler retrofit requirements:

New Jersey has retrofit requirements for high-rise hotels, health care facilities, high-rise R-1 facilities, nursing homes and institutional facilities.

If you would like any information regarding additional states, please contact us.